Frequently Asked Questions

Pallas Early Learning Driving School

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. As Pallas Early Learning Driving School is an off road facility where 15 years old and up are more than welcome. The campus is perfect for building driving skills and confidence while you are preparing for your theory test. It is important that you know it is NOT possible to drive on public roads without first passing your theory test.

15 years old and up. All persons 15 years old and older are more than welcome to come as the campus is off the public roads. Like training for anything the younger you start the better you will be.

Yes. You will see a form on the Home Page and Contact Page. Fill in the information and send. We will get back to you promptly.

No. For insurance and safety purposes nobody can practice unaccompanied on site. While your driving lessons are on our off road facility you will use a school car.

Insurance is not required. When taking driving lessons with Pallas Early Learning Driving School our insurance will cover you fully when using our vehicles.

We have manual cars for your driving lessons. All vehicles are dual controlled. All cars are fully insured for learner drivers.

Yes. Please give 72 hours notice if you need to cancel a driving lesson, allowing us time to try re sell that slot.

We recommend the first lesson being a 2 hour lesson if possible. We’ll start by getting you familiar with the car and all the foot and hand. We’ll then get you moving off and stopping safely, moving up and down your gears. If you’re doing really well on your first 2 hours we’ll also do some straight line reversing and maybe even a hill start!

Yes. You can get a voucher for as little as one lesson or as many as you wish. So make someone happy buy one today by calling our office on 090 9745147, email or on the link on our webpage and we’ll get it out in the post to you.

A learner permit is a licence issued to learner drivers. It enables them to learn to drive and to apply for a driving test six months after date of issue. The learner permit replaces the provisional licence, which is no longer issued.
Further important changes to the licensing regime came into force on 1 July 2008. The most significant of these is that as a holder of a learner permit you must:

  • Hold a licence for the category of vehicle you are driving and comply with the conditions attached to that licence when driving
  • Be accompanied at all times by a person who holds a full driving licence in the same category for a continuous period of two years (this applies to categories B, EB, C1, C, D1, D, EC, EC1, ED & ED1)

In addition, a number of penal offences have been introduced for learner drivers. These include driving unaccompanied (see above), not displaying ‘L’ plates when driving, and the carrying of a passenger by a learner motorcyclist.
These offences are punishable by a minimum €1,000 fine for a first offence.

Other requirements


There are legal restrictions on what types of vehicle you can drive at what age. For example, you have to be 16 to ride a moped, 17 to drive a standard car, 18 to drive a truck and and 21 to drive a bus.

‘L’ plates

All learner permit holders, with the exception of those who hold learner permits in category W (work vehicles/land tractors), must display ‘L’ plates while they are driving. Vehicles in categories B, C1, C, D1, D, EB, EC1, EC, ED1 or ED must display L plates at all times. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the vehicle.


All learner permit holders, with the exception of those who hold a learner permit in category A1 (Motorcycles), A (Motorcycle no greater than 125cc), or M (Mopeds), must be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times while driving. A qualified driver is one who holds a full licence for acontinuous period of two years in respect of the vehicle category being driven by the learner permit holder.

A person holding a category W(work vehicles/land tractors) learner permit is not permitted to carry a passenger unless the vehicle is constructed or adapted to carry a passenger and the passenger is a qualified driver – i.e. a person who has held a full licence for the vehicle category for at least two years.


Motorcyclists applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.

Vehicles in categories A, A1 and M (motorcycles and mopeds) cannot carry a passenger and are required at all times to display ‘L’ plates front and rear on a yellow fluorescent tabard.


A person who holds a learner permit in:

  • Vehicle categories A1/A and M (motorcycles/mopeds) is not permitted to carry a passenger
  • Any vehicle category is not allowed to carry any passenger for reward
  • Vehicle category W (work vehicles/land tractors) shall not carry a passenger unless the vehicle is constructed to carry a passenger and the passenger is a full licence holder for a continuous period of two years
  • Vehicle categories B, C1, C, D1 or D (cars, buses and trucks) shall not be driven while towing a trailer

What is the theory test?

The learner driver theory test was introduced in 2001. By law, before applying for a learner permit, candidates must complete and pass a test of their general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation. It applies to anyone applying for a first learner permit in any vehicle category.

The test is designed to check knowledge of topics such as:

  • Rules of the Road
  • Risk perception
  • Eco-driving
  • Hazard awareness
  • Good driving behaviour

Driver Theory Service contact:

1890 606 106 (English language)
1890 606 806 (Irish language)
1890 616 216 (text phone – for the hearing-impaired)

A driver theory test for motorcycles and mopeds (category AM), cars, work vehicles and land tractors (category BW), heavy goods vehicles (category C) and buses (category D) costs €35.60.

Get further information on the driving test here.

Contact us?

Call us on the phone:

Call us on the mobile: